You’ve done it! Studied hard, written a top-notch CV, aced your interview and been offered a job. It’s a wonderful feeling, especially if it is your dream job, or perhaps it is the start of a journey to your dream job. Still, the salary is something you do need to consider. Unfortunately, there is huge variation across industries and this can affect your ability to accept your dream role or turn it down so you can pay rent.Salaries depend on location for example, jobs in London often pay slightly more to cover the higher cost of living, the size of company, the type of company, and its specialisation. And, there are a myriad of factors affecting your decision to accept or not which are often more out of your control – your ability to relocate for example, living arrangements and whether or not you have any dependents. We’ve compiled a brief list of average starting salaries across some of the major industries to give you an idea of what to expect.
Graduate Salaries, Starting at The TopBanking & Accountancy – up to £50k (starting as low as £17 though) Education (qualified teachers) - £32K Law - As a graduate, you should expect between £19k and £22k (the higher amount being in London). Sales - Starting £24K with commissions often taking the total closer to £30k. Digital marketing - £18-22k Publishing/journalism/media -start as low as £15k Media agency graduate roles - £20-25k **Median uk salary for graduates is roughly £3ok
Why Are Graduate Media Salaries So Low?There seems be be a heavy expectation on new starters in media to work up through the ranks, with experience often valued over qualifications – not the same as a doctor or architect with 7+ years of study and experience combined upon graduation! The good news? On average, media agency salaries should increase to £30 and above after two years, so you don't have long to wait.
Other Things to ConsiderDon't be disheartened. Lots of companies now offer a raft of extra benefits which can heartily support your lifestyle. You need to think about where will you be living, the cost of transport offset against rent and the time it takes to commute. Lots of companies now odder season ticket schemes as well as the now fairly established cycle to work scheme.
How Can I Earn More?Make sure you find out what progression options there are in your interview and how quickly you can expect to move up. If you start a job and you feel like you are being taken advantage of there is no shame in looking elsewhere – contact dotgap to make sure you’re on the right track for your digital career.
Are you ready to take the next step in your career? Do you love the idea of relocating to a warmer country? Would you like to work for one of the most successful media agencies in Australia? If so, you might be interested in our exciting new job opportunities. We have teamed up with one of Australia’s most successful digital media agencies to offer two fantastic digital marketing roles to UK residents. Australia currently has a digital marketing talent shortage, so there is a huge demand for skilled marketing employees to relocate. Media companies are currently offering extremely generous salaries and relocation packages for the right person. Agencies are particularly keen to see talented candidates with digital accounts experience. Does this sound like you? If so, here’s some more information about the roles.
About The Roles
Digital Account DirectorLocation: Australia Salary: £70k per Annum This role has a focus on digital strategy, thinking, planning, analysis, and architecture of media recommendations. The Digital Account Director is responsible for the team’s digital output. This includes quality control, campaign implementation, and the tracking and performance of all media campaigns. Two to five years digital marketing experience required. Find out more about this role here.
Digital Account ManagerLocation: Australia Salary: £50k per Annum Focused on the planning, analysis and architecture of media campaigns and client engagement. The Account Manager is responsible for the output of Account Executives and Coordinators. Also the booking, tracking and performance of all media activity. Collaborate with team traders and internal specialist units. Keep a close eye on campaigns to ensure results deliver to expectations for all client activity. Two to five years digital marketing experience required. Find out more about this role here.
Benefits Of Accepting A Digital Marketing Role In AustraliaRelocating for work can seem daunting, especially if you’ve never relocated before. However it is a great opportunity to upgrade your career, your finances and your personal life – and here’s why.
1. It Is The Second Best Place In The World To LiveAccording to a study from the United Nations, Australia is actually the second-best place in the world to live. This is due to the high quality of life. Social progress is steady, the economy is fantastic, high-quality education is accessible and the weather is brilliant.
2. It Is One Of The Happiest Countries In The WorldYou probably won’t be surprised to hear that Australia is also one of the happiest countries in the world. In fact, tThe Wall Street Journal recently reported that Australia is the second happiest country! This was measured by analysing eleven basic welfare factors. These include income, housing, work life balance, community, health and life satisfaction. So if you want to be happier on a daily basis, Australia could help!
3. The Economy Is StrongAustralia is known across the world for having a strong, active economy. This is due to a few factors; the country has a generally skilled workforce, produce is high quality and international commerce is booming.
4. Relocation Costs Are CoveredAll international career transitions with Dotgap are as smooth as possible. We cover moving and relocation costs, and we can also help with visa requirements. This ensures that your career change is as stress-free as possible. So you can hit the ground running as soon as you arrive in Australia! Opportunities like this don’t come along every day. So if you have two to five years of digital marketing experience, we’d love to speak to you. Simply email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an interview. Let’s help you to make the move that will completely transform your life!
The world of PPC marketing is always changing and evolving. This allows pay per click advertising to constantly improve, but it is important for digital marketers to keep up with these trends. After all, these trends allow marketers to deliver more effective campaigns. But what trends can you expect to see this year? Here are six PPC trends to look out for in 2022.
1. PPC Trends To Look Out For In 2022: First-Party DataThird party data used to be an essential metric for most digital marketers, but this is starting to change. Google recently announced that they would be phasing out third party cookies (most will be removed in 2023), but that doesn’t mean there won’t be analytics. Instead Google will be prioritising first party cookies, which can be used to create effective PPC campaigns.
2. Better SegmentationTargeting specific audiences has always been a big part of PPC advertising, but improved segmentation is making this type of advertising even more effective. Audience segmentation is possible through most newsletter services, and it is now becoming a part of social media advertising. This helps marketers to create more effective marketing campaigns across a range of platforms.
3. New Advert FormatsNew adverts formats are constantly popping up. Five years ago image advertising was extremely popular and video advertising was very rare online, but now video adverts are equally as popular. So you can expect to see more video advert formats in 2022 – and it is also possible new types of adverts will become more popular. For instance, audio only adverts may become more mainstream.
4. Responsive Search AdvertDo you use responsive search adverts (AKA RSAs) in your PPC marketing campaigns? If you haven’t, now is the time to start. Responsive search adverts combine ad copy and images to create different ads for different target audiences, and this can significantly boost the effectiveness of your marketing campaign.
5. Pulling It BackLots of small businesses experienced financial uncertainly over the last two years, and this will likely affect their advertising efforts in 2022. Many businesses will have a stripped back marketing budget, so campaigns may be more basic and simpler. This means that many digital marketers will be creating low-cost campaigns over the next year.
6. Unexpected TrendsIt is impossible to predict every PPC trend for 2022, so expect the unexpected. After all, PPC marketing is always changing! The most successful marketers understand this, so they will try to be adaptable, flexible and open minded.
Digital marketing is one of the best ways to advertise your business – but that doesn’t mean that every campaign will be a success. Some business owners poorly manage their marketing efforts, and this means that certain campaigns can end up being a waste of money. Thankfully this is avoidable; you just need a results-driven marketing strategy. Here’s how to create a successful results-driven marketing strategy.
1. Define Your Business And Your GoalsThe first thing that you need to do is define your business and your goals. Write down a brief summary of your business and the services you provide, and then write down your current goals for the company. Maybe you want more loyal customers, or maybe you want to expand to a new market – either way, writing this down will make it much easier for you to create a clear marketing strategy.
2. Create A Buyer PersonaNext you should create a buyer persona for the people you want to target. Ask yourself these questions; where do they live? How old are they? What gender are they? Do they have interests and passions? What do they value? What needs do they have that you can help with? Answering these questions will make it easier for you to create a high-quality campaign that actually appeals to your target audience.
3. Set Clear ExpectationsNow is the time to set clear expectations for your campaign. Use analytics to track your general website and social media engagement, and then review previous campaigns to find out how successful they were. This will help you to set realistic, attainable goals for your current campaign. For instance, if you average 50 sales a week and previous campaigns have increased sales by 5%, you will understand that it is probably unrealistic to expect a 200% increase in sales from your next campaign!
4. Set Lead Generation TacticsThere are lots of different forms of lead generation. Some of the most popular include; Content marketing (blog posts). Email marketing (newsletters). Social media marketing. Search Engine Optimisation. Paid search (PPC). Networking events. In person marketing (posting flyers, handing out flyers). Remember that the world of digital marketing is always changing, so you may want to consider trying new lead generation tactics for optimum success.
5. Check Out The CompetitionYou may also want to check out your competition to see how they market their products (especially if they are more successful than you. Ask yourself these questions; What lead generation tactics do they use? What does their newsletter look like? Do they have a blog? If so, what do they blog about? What is their unique selling point? Why are their customers loyal to them? This will make it easier for you to refine your marketing strategy.
6. Track Your CampaignFinally it is important to track your campaign. There are lots of ways to do this; you can look at the overall sales revenue since the campaign started, or you can look at costs per lead. Over popular options include online marketing ROI, overall conversion rate, social media traffic, lead to customer conversation rate and traffic to lead ratio. This will show you which parts of your campaign were successful (and which were not!).
If you’re a business owner, it is likely you’ve considered working with recruitment companies before. After all, the recruitment industry has become very mainstream over the last decade; in fact, it is now one of the most efficient and effective ways to hire high-quality employees. But how can you find the best recruitment agency for your business Here are a few tips to help you find the best London recruitment agency for your needs and your budget.
1. How To Find The Right London Recruitment Agency: Define Your NeedsThe first thing you need to do is define your hiring needs. Are you looking to hire multiple people at once, or are you only looking for one employee? Is this a one-off event, or will you be hiring every few months? Are you only hiring in a specific area (such as online marketing), or are you hiring different people in different industries?
2. Learn About The Different Kinds Of Recruitment AgenciesOnce you have defined your hiring needs, you can start to look at the different types of recruitment agencies. If you are looking for temporary employees, a staffing recruitment agency may be the best option. If you are hiring people in digital marketing, you should look for a specialist digital marketing recruitment service (such as our own). Finding an agency that suits your specific needs means that you are more likely to find a high-quality employee (and it also means you are less likely to experience high turnover, which is good news for any business owner).
3. Check ExperienceYou may also want to check the experience level of the recruitment agency. After all, experience is one of the best indicators of success – and more experienced agencies tend to have more resources, which means it is easier for them to find a selection of great candidates. It can also be useful to check reviews of their services (and if they don’t have any reviews, we suggest choosing a different agency).
4. Assess CostsFinally it is important to assess your costs so that you can find a recruitment company that suits your budget. After all, most business owners have a pretty tight budget, and overspending can cause financial problems. So look for a reputable, affordable company that won’t break the bank. Many recruitment agencies have their prices listed on their website, and if not you can contact them to find out their rates.
Most employers understand the importance of hiring great candidates. They know that the right candidate will help to improve their business, and they understand that if someone is a good fit they are more likely to stay with the company for a long time. However now is a difficult time to hire; a recent study found that UK job adverts are at a record high in the build-up to Christmas, so it is harder than ever to find the best employees. Thankfully it is still possible to find high quality employees who are compatible with your business; you just need to make sure that your business appeals to these candidates. Here are three tips to help you attract the best digital marketing talent.
1. How Employers Can Attract The Best Digital Marketing Talent: Think About Your BrandingOne of the easiest ways to increase the quality of job candidates is by including clear branding. This doesn’t mean you need to use your logo or the company colours; instead you should focus on the values of your brand. Is your company known for being innovative and out of the box, or are you more traditional? Are you known for working with global giants, or do you normally work with small start-ups? This information will make it easier for you to attract likeminded individuals who see themselves in your brand. This means they are more likely to be a good fit (and they are also more likely to stay with the company for a long time!).
2. Cultivate A Strong Social Media PresenceYou may not think that your social media presence is linked to finding job candidates – but it certainly can be. After all, nearly four billion people use social media (in fact, there are over 1 billion people on Instagram alone!), which makes it one of the best places to advertise online. So make sure you have professional, active social media pages that your target audience (potential employees) can find. Then potential employees can follow you online, which means they are more likely to see job opportunities (or they may even send their CV in when you don’t have vacancies).
3. Create Engaging Job AdvertsFinally it is important to create an engaging job advert. Include a detailed job description, be clear and articulate when you are describing your ideal candidate, and make sure your company description helps you to stand out from the crowd. This means you are less likely to interview incompatible candidates who don’t have the right skills or attitude.
The digital marketing industry is always changing. Every year new trends emerge, and some of these trends completely transform the digital marketing landscape. So if you work in digital marketing, you may want to keep up with current and emerging trends. Here are five digital marketing trends you can expect to see in 2022.
1. Digital Marketing Trends You Can Expect To See In 2022: Multichannel MarketingIn the past digital marketers would only use one or two channels for marketing (such as a website and an email newsletter), but in modern times multichannel marketing is far more effective. Most digital marketers use a wide range of platforms to advertise, including a website, a newsletter, a blog, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Tiktok and LinkedIn. This can feel overwhelming, but an integrated approach tends to reach far more people, so campaigns tend to be much more successful.
2. AI Digital MarketingAI technology grows more popular with every passing year, and 2022 will be no different. More and more marketing techniques (such as analytic tools) are being automated. In fact, AI can now even provide marketers with improved keyword suggestions! This tends to improve overall marketing efforts, so it is important for digital marketers to embrace AI technology if they want their career to thrive.
4. ChatbotsVoice activated support (such as Alexa or Google assistant) grow in popularity every month, and now many websites have a handy chatbot that can answer user queries. This technology is proving to be very successful for a few reasons; it automates customer service, and it improves overall website efficiency for users. This is because the chatbot can answer queries 24/7, so people never have to wait long for a response.
4. Mobile First Digital MarketingMore users than ever before are using mobile phones to get online. In fact, recently mobile users overtook laptop users for the first time! For this reason it is important to prioritise mobile first digital marketing. All campaigns should be fully optimised for both Apple and Android devices, so make sure you only use responsive, mobile-friendly content in your campaigns.
5. InclusivityThe final digital marketing trend you can expect to see more of in 2022 is inclusivity. More and more digital marketing campaigns are focused on making people feel included and welcome, and this benefits both the advertiser and the audience. Audience members feel like they are cared for, and research has found that inclusive campaigns have increased sales and customer engagement. So if you want to improve the success of your campaigns in 2022, focus on inclusivity!
When it comes to small business marketing, the internet is one of the most successful avenues - and yet many small business owners avoid hiring a digital marketing employee. This could be due to a few reasons; maybe they have a tight budget, or maybe they don’t think that digital marketing is worth spending money on. Either way, this can cause a big problem. Here are four reasons why every business needs a digital marketing employee.
1. Why Every Business Needs A Digital Marketing Employee: It Will Expand Your ReachThere are over three billion people using social media, which accounts for nearly 40% of the world’s population (yes, really!). As so many people are now using social media on a daily basis, it is easy to reach a wide range of potential customers you would never connect with without digital marketing. With just a few strategic social media and blog posts you can connect with thousands of new people, helping to expand your reach.
2. You Will Get Advanced AnalyticsA good digital marketing employee will track the progress of their campaigns with advanced analytics (such as Google Analytics, Instagram Business Insights or Open Web Analytics). This will show them which campaigns are succeeding and which campaigns aren’t, so they will be able to alter future campaigns for greater success. This means that you will keep getting better and better results from your digital marketing campaigns. See our digital marketing jobs here.
3. It Is Cost EffectiveResearch has found that digital marketing is one of the most cost effective kinds of marketing, especially when compared with traditional marketing (such as print or TV). One of the best examples of this is PPC advertising (pay per click advertising), as you will only pay once a user clicks on the advert. This will improve your ROI (return on investment), which is ideal for small businesses with a tight budget.
4. Digital Marketing Is FlexibleAnother great thing about digital marketing is how flexible it is. There are so many different techniques and ways to reach your desired target audience; you could start an email marketing campaign, you could pay for a Facebook advert, or you could sponsor a YouTube or Instagram influencer. There are so many options; you just need a digital marketing employee to help you achieve your goals. Did you enjoy this blog post? If so, click here to check out more of our blog posts.
Do you want to stay ahead of the digital marketing curve? Do you want to further your career? If so, it could be beneficial to check out a digital marketing podcast in your free time. Digital marketing podcasts are useful, fun and free, and listening to just one a week could help you to advance your career. However there are lots of digital marketing podcasts out there, so it can be difficult to decide which one to listen to. Thankfully we are here to help; here are 5 interesting digital marketing podcasts that could further your career.
1. 5 Interesting Digital Marketing Podcasts That Could Further Your Career: Marketing School with Neil Paten & Eric SiuNeil Paten is well-known in the marketing world for co-founding global companies such as CrazyEgg and QuickSprout, as well as his successful marketing website NeilPatel.com. His podcast features co-host Eric Siu, who is also a marketing expert, and every podcast has useful, relevant marketing advice for 2021. The podcasts are also fairly short, so you can easily listen them during a work-out or a commute.
2. Social Media Examiner PodcastThe Social Media Examiner is a fairly well-known marketing website, and they recently started a podcast with the same name. There are two episodes per week that are around 40 minutes long, and every podcast comes with useful tips and tricks to help with digital and social media marketing. There are also interviews from industry professionals, as well as digital marketing success stories.
3. Online Marketing Made EasyOnline Marketing Made Easy is a useful podcast hosted by Amy Porterfield that makes marketing simple. Every episode ends with a clear call to action to help you improve your digital marketing campaigns. We think that this podcast is very inspiring, and the call to action at the end will definitely help to motivate you!
4. The GaryVee Audio ExperienceGary Vaynerchuk (who is probably better known as Gary Vee) is a digital marketing pro, and every episode of his podcast comes with actionable, practical advice. He mostly covers social media marketing, online marketing and entrepreneurship. So if you are a business owner or marketing manager, this podcast could be perfect for you. One of the best things about the GaryVee Audio Experience is the quality of the advice. He is an expert in his field, and it would cost hundreds to hire him for an hour of consultancy – but this podcast you can discover valuable insights for free!
5. Marketing Over CoffeeMarketing Over Coffee is a fun, casual podcast that doesn’t take itself too seriously. Each episode is only around 20 minutes long, so it is very easy to listen to one while you’re on the go, and hosts John Wall and Christopher Penn are interesting and insightful. The podcast covers SEO marketing, social media marketing, email marketing and copywriting, so it is ideal for bloggers, online marketers and website owners.
For most graduates, the first thing they want to do is look for a job. They want to get their foot on the career ladder and start earning money – but this can be difficult if they don’t have desirable skills or experience. Here are five skills employers want entry level employees to have.